I got clocked for going 20 miles over the speed limit, i phoned in to go to court what can I expect now.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Miami, FL

I was clocked by radar from a parked police car. the ticket says I was going 60mph on a 40 mph zone. it was a Tuesday morning about 2:30am night was clear no traffic or adverse conditions.
I just got a notice for a pretrial conference but I don't know what to expect.

1. 1

Answered . You set the case for trial instead of paying the ticket. Typically this is the best way to proceed because you will automatically get points if you just send in the payment. First thing that will happen is that you will get a notice for a pretrial hearing in front of a traffic judge. The judge will review your driving record and make an offer to you to close out the case. If your record is good, he will generally offer a withhold of adjudication (no points), a fine, and possibly traffic school depending on the seriousness of the citation and your history. If you want a trial, you can advise the judge and it will be reset for trial. At trial the officer will be summoned to appear and testify against you. If he does not appear, you win. If he appears, he will testify and you can testify. In addition, he needs to prove that the radar device was calibrated within 6 months and have his logs with him in court. If not, there is a motion to dismiss. I have won many cases on this issue. Hiring a lawyer to help you is worth the money in the long run.

2. Answered . I am not sure how it works in your jurisdiction, in Kansas so long as you didn't have a CDL, weren't going over 20 miles over the speed limit, haven't had another ticket in that jurisdiction, and had insurance you would probably be able to ask for an amendment or a diversion on the charge. My guess is that if you show up and ask to have the ticket not on your record then you will be able to work something out.

3. Answered . For a Florida speeding ticket usually your best option is to take the Florida online traffic school and keep the ticket completely off your record. Taking online traffic school also reduces the fine. You can wait until you go to the pretrial conference and see what they offer. It just depends on how much time you have and if the court is close.