I got charged with underage drinking but didnt get a dwi...what will my consequences be...?

Charlotte, NC |

i live near UNCC and i was coming home from a party where i had exactly 2 shots of really cheap alcohol, RIGHT before i got home i got stopped n breathalyzed...my results were .19...the cop gave me a ticket for underage drinking but didnt issue a DWI, the ticket is a non-waivable misdemeanor saying i HAD to appear in court...what could possibly happen to me when i go to court?....Will they take my license?? What should i do?...btw please pray for me

That SOUNDS like a "Provisional Licensee Violation" pursuant to North Carolina General Statute 20-138.3. Some call it the "Under-Age DWI." Put simply, there is a ZERO TOLERANCE law in North Carolina regarding operating a motor vehicle and ANY amount of alcohol by persons under the age of 21.

They are extremely complicated and although handled differently than an DWI, the consequences are very similar. . .if not worse than an DWI. That is especially true regarding associated DMV issues.

Contact an attorney IMMEDIATELY.

bill powers
charlotte, nc

NOTE: Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. The questioner should not base any decision on the answer and is specifically advised no client-lawyer relationship has been established. Put simply, seek the advice of competent counsel without delay to discuss the particular aspects of the case, factual scenario and historical background. NOTE: There may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. Readers should not base any decision on the;information provided herein and are specifically advised no client-lawyer relationship has been established. Put simply, seek the advice of competent counsel without delay to discuss the particular aspects of the case, factual scenario and historical background WHY: The content herein is provided for educational purposes and should not be inferred as applying only to DWI / DUI criminal defense. In fact, it may be equally relevant to claims of personal injury involving accidents and the consumption of alcohol or more simply, to the daily practice of law. Bill Powers lectures on such issues on a regular basis with the intent to educate, to be fair, to be accurate and to encourage, open, honest and scientific discussion on the subject. Attorney Bill Powers did NOT represent the Defendant in the particular cause of action.

You were probably charged with driving after consuming under 21. If you weren't you received the break of the year. If you are convicted of driving after consuming under 21 then you may lose your license for a year. It is important to involve an attorney in your case early. I suggest you contact a lawyer ASAP to represent your interests; I recommend Bill Powers. You can find his contact information on Avvo.

Hire a lawyer immediately.

It sound like you were charged with Driving After Consuming while Under 21 years of age. If this is correct, you are accused of having had some amount of alcohol and then driving while you were less than 21 year of age. This is a serious and complex charge, one that can result in your losing your right to drive for at least a year, possibly longer depending on your record.

Attempting to handle a case like this on your own could be a very costly mistake. I urge you to call a few DWI defense lawyers in Charlotte. There are many excellent ones. Find one with whom you feel comfortable and in whom you have confidence. Do not try go it alone with a case this complex.