I got charged with drug conspiracy crimes. No drugs were ever found, only papers listing drug quantities and prices.

New York, NY |

I got charged with drug conspiracy crimes. No drugs were ever found, only papers listing drug quantities and prices. What is a defense here?

1. It's impossible for anyone but your own attorney to even begin to answer this question.

That said, a charge of conspiracy to commit certain drug offenses does not require that you actually possess the controlled substances in question.

2. Your attorney may have to deal with a conspiracy charge here, so there are a couple of defenses, but we would have to know all of the facts surrounding the arrest and indictment.

3. You definitely need a criminal defense for serious charges like this. There may well be evidence that the prosecution has that you don't know about yet.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632. www.nyccriminallawyer.com

4. That is too little information. Consult with a criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. There are many possible defenses but the fats are what shape the case. Speak with your attorney or hire another.

6. This sounds like a conspiracy case, my office is working in several of these cases in Federal court in manhattan... I would suggest speaking to your attorney to discuss defenses or contacting an attorney from this service directly to discuss if you're interested in hiring someone to assist you.

7. Multiple approaches are available. Criminal defense is a skilled art form. The particular best approach in this matter are All better left to privileged conversation with your experienced federal defense lawyer.

Of course, every answer or response is based on the information provided in the question asked and requires a much more complete context than is available in this public forum. This answer/response should NOT be relied upon to make any legal decisions. Seek the advice of an experienced Federal and/or state criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction BEFORE you say or do anything.

8. That depends on whether it is a federal or state crime and what hte other evidence is. There may be witnesses, texts, phone calls, surveillance, etc. You should retain a good criminal lawyer and let him advise you based on what evidence the prosecution has and whether you could win a trial or should take a plea.

Federal crime topics