I got caught using a high school metro card and received two summons' to appear for no payment and improper use.

Asked 7 months ago - Staten Island, NY

whats the worst thing that can happen to me. Its my first offense I lied to the officer and said I was a high school student. then I admitted the truth and said I found it.
The officer wrote that on the summons

violation #1050 4a I'm 18 yrs old.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . You could end up with a criminal record. I suggest you hire a criminal defense lawyer. If you do you won't have to appear in court yourself.

2. Richard C. Southard

Pro

1

1

Answered . The potential penalties for 21 NYCRR 1050 (4)(a) can be found here.

Pursuant to section 1204(5-a) of the Public Authorities Law, any person committing one or more violations of these rules shall be subject to either:

(a) criminal prosecution in the criminal court of the City of New York, which court may impose a fine not to exceed twenty-five dollars or a term of imprisonment for not longer than ten days, or both; or
    (b) civil penalties imposed by the transit adjudication bureau in an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars per violation (exclusive of interest or costs assessed thereon).
    (c) These rules may be amended or added to, from time to time, at the sole discretion of the New York City Transit Authority or Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority in accordance with law.

The schedule of such civil penalties will be set forth in an internal procedure manual of the transit adjudication bureau and may be revised from time to time, including provisions for repeat offenses.
    In addition to a civil penalty for one or more violations of these rules, an additional penalty, not to exceed fifty dollars, may be imposed upon the failure of a respondent in any proceeding commenced with respect to any such violation to make a timely response to or appearance in connection with a notice of violation or order issued by the Authority in such proceeding.

3. Mike E. Saint-Pre

Answered . You can be charged with theft of services which is a Misdemeanor punishable up to a year in jail. Depending on your criminal history you should be able to negotiate a non-criminal disposition. I suggest you hire an attorney to advocate on your behalf.