I got caught stealing from Walmart and they gave me a court date, What will happen to me?

37755 |

I'm in Tennesee and I'm 15. This is my first time doing anything bad against the law. I'm scared that they will send me off or something.

1. You are really going to want the help of a lawyer on this so that they can try to keep it off your record. This could cause you a lot of problems in the future and many employers won't hire someone that has a stealing conviction. Best to get a lawyer before court. Hope that's helpful

2. Assuming minor shoplifting:

First, relax and accept what is.

Second, do not speak about the facts of the case to anyone other than your attorney. If you do not have one when you get to court and are asked if you have an attorney; then, request one. If your parents say you do not need an attorney, still request one from the court.

Third, when you go to court dress like you are going to church and be respectful. Look normal, if you don't usually.

Fourth, listen to your attorney, tell them everything and do as instructed.

Fifth, what will happen - likely you will be able to take a class, hear a strong lecture, maybe do community service, and move on; however, it is possible that you could be placed on court or state probation until the court decides you are done or you are 19 whichever comes first. Every court and D.A. is different. Likely, it will be something closer to the class rather than probation, but most important is that you never go back- so straighten-up, fly right, and do better. If you end up back in the system a second time for another charge or violate probation (if you are put on probation); then, you will need to start worrying about being sent away.

Legal Disclaimer. This communication is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between you and James Ronald Tucker, Jr. Thus, your receipt or transmission of information to or from the James Ronald Tucker, Jr. alone does not create an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. James Ronald Tucker, Jr. assumes no liability for the use or interpretation of information contained herein. The legal information herein provided is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as professional counsel and should not be used as such. You should contact a competent attorney in your area to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.