I got caught stealing from Walmart

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Well basically, I got caught stealing, they took me to a room and The items were recovered. I believe it was less than$25. Why I did it, I don't even know but it was NOT worth it. They filled out a paper with my information and said that wal mart would send me a civil recovery fine? Anywhere from $50-$500 dollars. The LP guy said I would have to sign some paper but he didn't specify what it was and never had me sign. I guess my question is, what happens now, what should I do, and what was that paper I was supposed to sign? It's my first offense, oh and this is California.

1. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

8

Answered . You can ignore the civil demand letter from Wal-Mart. Unless you hear from the police, DA or court, you're not going to be in any trouble.

2. William Peter Daley

8

Answered . It is possible you might receive a letter in the mail demanding payment of sums of money from a law firm for Walmart. And I agree with the other attorneys that you don't need to worry about paying that civil money payment. Also, you might receive a notice in the mail for a court date because criminal charges were filed against you, since stealing is a crime. If that happens you need to contact one of us local Avvo criminal defense attorneys.
    http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com/san-diego-cr...

3. Gerald Edward Smith

7

Answered . The loss prevention officer mentioned a letter for civil assessment fines, like my colleagues who also answered, I would not pay the law firm unless a law suit is filed.

Regarding the charges. You. Did not mention whether the police were called or whether you given a citation and let go. If you were not put in jail then expect a notify letter from the prosecutor stating charges were filed.

You need to find an experienced criminal attorney to help you.

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

5

Answered . Hold onto, but don't necessarily be in any rush to pay, the civil demand. If the police weren't called you should be OK, but if you are contacted again by anyone resist the temptation to speak without your attorney present.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  5. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

5

Answered . Attorney Loncar is spot on with his analysis.

6. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . If you were not cited nor arrested for a CRIMINAL offense, you are not being prosecuted in criminal court. But, you may receive a CIVIL demand letter for money damages for your alleged actions. It does not need your attention until (and if) it matures into a civil lawsuit in court when served with court process.