I got caught smoking weed by the police. What do you think will happen to me?

Asked over 2 years ago - Gettysburg, PA

I got caught smoking marijauna by the cops. Basically, i was smoking in my dorm, we got caught by campus security, they called the cops. I had marijuana (less than 1 oz.)+ a pipe. I haven't recieved my charges yet and its been almost 2 months. What do you think will happen?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Adam D. Zucker


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You could be charged with possession of a controlled substance or possession of a small amount of marijuana. If you are a frist time offender you could be eligible for a diversionary program such as ARD, of course you may have some valid defenses and they should be expolred by counsel before you make a decision on how to proceed. Sometimes it can take several months for charges to be filed especially if the police are awaiting lab results on the substance they found on your person or in your room. Also if you gave the police your drivers license with a home addresss rather than your college address the citation or complaint may have been mailed to your home address so you need to have someone look out for that paper work.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any... more
  2. Robert C. Trichilo

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . If the amount of pot was under 30 grams, you may be charged with possession of a small amount for the drugs. You may also be charged with one count of possession of drug paraphernalia for the pipe. Both offenses are unclassified misdemeanors. Potentially, you could have a conviction to a drug offense on your criminal record. A conviction for a drug offense may affect your ability to get student loans or other government assistance. I don't find it unusual that you you have not heard from the police yet. It takes time for the crime lab to complete the testing. In this case, I highly recommend that you retain a criminal lawyer to contact the police officer, and try to negotiate a favorable resolution before the charges are filed with the court. There is no guarantee that this will work, but you don't know until you try. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering