I got bit in the face by my roommates pitbull. We both are renters. is he liable?

Asked about 1 year ago - Austin, TX

The dog never bit anyone before, but did bite my roommates other dog a month before my accident

1. Stockton Anthony Hayden Briggle

10

1

Answered . That is a fact-sensitive situation. If your roommate had insurance that could potentially help your ability to recover. More regarding the dogs's biting history would need to be known to further evaluate this claim. We handle these types of claims often and would be happy to discuss with you further.

www.AustinTrialLawyers.com

2. Byron Craig Alfred

9

Answered . Possibly. However, it will be hard to determine liability without knowing more about the facts of this case.

Furthermore, a personal injury attorney would asses the case to determine whether it is worth bringing suit against your roommate who may not have the assets to pay a judgment. I suggest you contact a Texas personal injury attorney who offers free consultations.

3. John Gus Zgourides

8

Answered . He may be found liable - but can he pay? If he has a renters policy, there may be coverage defenses. For instance, pit bulls are often excluded from coverage.

John Zgourides
    Board Certified - Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
    www.zgourides.com

4. Solomon Neuhardt

Pro

8

Answered . Laws vary by city, county and state. The short answer is probably but this is not cut and dry. Talk to a texas lawyer.

This answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship.
  5. Curtis James Bickers

6

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys that more facts are needed in order to answer your question. Dog bite cases are tough to win in Texas but can be done with the right attorney who is experienced in dog bite cases. When searching for an attorney, make sure that attorney has handled other dog bite cases in Texas.

6. Parker Price Polan

6

Answered . You might have a claim against your roommate. However, without having any renter's insurance, you might be out of luck. Contact an attorney to look into this for you.

www.AustinTrialLawyers.com

7. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . More facts are necessary. Consult with a local personal injury attorney.

Pro

6

Answered . Need more facts. Contact one of the above lawyers in your state to discuss in detail.

9. Alexander Wyatt Wright

Pro

3

Answered . It would be easy for me to say that is depends, but I will go a little further than that. In Texas there is no first free bite when it comes to abnormally dangerous animals. It is my opinion that a pit bull is such an animal. And with a face wound, damages have the potential to be significant. I have written on this topic extensively for other lawyers and can tell you that the law is still very much in your favor. Naturally, others are correct when they say that some particular facts of your case might change this analysis, but early signs are in your favor. Find a lawyer who really understands animal bites, not just has handled one here or there. Such a lawyer will serve you well.