I got asylum approval on July 2012 I am applying soon for GC But what if I get married dose it take shorter to get US citize

Asked over 1 year ago - Costa Mesa, CA

I might get married soon
is it possible to replace the green card
If yes are they going to count the whole year I spent in asylum on the new GC
Or they just will count three years from the day of marriage ?

1. Romina Isabel Gomez

1

Answered . When you apply to adjust your status to legal permanent resident, you will receive your green card valid for 10 years. The issuance date is backdated to the day your asylee status was granted.

You may qualify for naturalization after three years if the following requirements are met: 1) you have been a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years; 2) Have been married with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time; and 3) Meet all other eligibility requirements.

You should consult with an immigration attorney to work out the specifics of your case.

2. Gintare Grigaite

1

Answered . If you apply based on your asylee status, you can already do so. If you will do so through marriage, you would first need to get married, then prove to the immigration your good-faith marriage, and also attend the interview together, so the process is definitely longer. Once you have your green card, and you marry and remain married to the same spouse for three years, you may apply for citizenship based on the three years, instead of five. I highly recommend you seek experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with your adjustment of status.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.