Skip to main content

I got arrested for public intoxication and plead no contest. I want this off my record asap. There's a huge loop to this story,

Garland, TX |

I got arrested for public intoxication and plead no contest. I want this off my record asap. There's a huge loop to this story, while being arrested the charge was under my friends name and went through the entire time pretending to be her and was bailed with her name as well. My friend is well aware of this, i called her as soon as i got out. The only ID i had at the time was hers and i used it to go out because I'm under aged. Should i just continue the process in getting it expunged and going to court still pretending to be her? Or do i tell my bondsman the entire story. I only did this because i was very scared of getting into more trouble for being under aged.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you pleaded no contest (also known as "nolo contendere"), then you won't be able to have this expunged. Period. End of story. However, you could be charged for a variety of crimes, including using your friend's identity...and your friend could get the PI charge expunged based on that fact. You seriously need to hire an attorney asap!

    The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  2. When you hire your attorney tomorrow, they'll have to go in and try to reopen the case. It sounds like you got out because you got a conviction. You have to clean up this mess.

    I intend this answer to be for general information only and it should not be substituted for advice from an experienced local lawyer who can investigate your situation fully. Contact information for all attorneys on Avvo can be found by clicking on their names.

  3. Speak to a Texas Criminal Defense Attorney ASAP. Speak to no one about this until you have spoken with an attorney. Do not go to court and claim that you are somebody else. Do not post any more details here as this is a public forum,

  4. This is unfortunately a bigger problem for your friend than you. She's the one that needs her name cleared. I can't tell what the status of your case is. Just because you entered a no contest plea, doesn't tell me the disposition. if you received deferred, the case can be expunged. If that's the case, I would just take responsibility by paying to clear her record. The bond company doesn't have anything to do with this. You need to consult a local attorney as soon as possible to sort out the disposition. They can advise you of your options from there.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney who practices criminal law in your jurisdiction for the most accurate legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics