I got arrested for a drug offense and am debating whether going to court or do the program. it was less then a gram. do what??

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

i was at school and my eyes were red so they said it was probable cause to search me. i was 17 at the time i said no my mom said yes.

1. Justin Gary Hausler

4

Answered . You want to talk to a lawyer before doing anything. Sometimes the programs are harder than a sentence you'd get with a withhold of adjudication. You may also have some defenses to the case. A lawyer can attend court for you, speak to the prosecutor and counsel you on a possible resolution to your case. I handle these matters and offer a free consultation if you'd like to discuss it. Have you already attended arraignment?

2. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

2

Answered . Your case is ripe for diversion (a State owned and operated program which is designed to make you think twice about future criminality by way of making you jump through a series of proverbial hoops during a period of supervision, successful completion of which results in a dismissal) but the question is whether or not diversion is the right choice for you in this case. There may or may not be viable defenses to the charges, affirmative or otherwise, or there may be factual, legal, procedural or substantive mechanisms by which to attack and beat the charges without going through diversion.

The best way for you to get competent advise is going to be to have a face-to-face meeting with a criminal defense lawyer who can follow-up on your information with questions of her/his own, as well as review the police reports and citations and then offer an informed opinion.

Although I practice primarily in Miami-Dade County you are welcome to contact my office for a referral or two, or you can search do a location search here on Avvo or you can search the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers website by locality (please see http://www.facdl.org/ - and click on the "Find A Lawyer" tab).

Either way, best of luck!

3. Mark H Randall

Pro

1

Answered . It sounds like your case is in juvenile court. A program might be easier than probation (called community control in juvenile). It is your call!

4. William Emil Cassara

Pro

1

Answered . Realistically, none of us can tell you what to do based on this amount of information. Whatever it would cost you to retain counsel is going to be well worth it in the long run.