I got arrested can a job make a decision about my ares st

Plantation, FL |

I was hired at TD bank but i was arrest for possession of marijuana

1. fl is an at-will employment state. i'd say that if your employment manual doesn't require you to disclose it, keep it quiet until it's resolved.

2. Your employer has the right to run a criminal background check on all employees. Some will exclude an applicant or discharge an employee for the use of drugs. Get a criminal defense attorney to see if this conviction is expungement eligible, if FL has an expungement/seal law that applies.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. Unless your employment agreement or manual specifically requires you to disclose criminal arrests that occur while you are employed by the bank, I do not believe you have any legal obligation to make them aware of it.

4. Hi. It's a good news / bad news situation: bad news is that employers can fire people pretty easily here in Fla. (which is an At Will state). Good news: it does not sound like you have been found 'guilty' yet, and can still fight the case. Feel free to give me a call to discuss the facts underlying your arrest, because you may have some valid legal defenses.