I got an underage drinking ticket. Will this affect me getting my license?

Crystal Lake, IL |

I am fifteen years old and I live in Illinois

It may affect your driver's license. You should speak with an attorney.
Did you take a breathalyzer?
Did they find and open alcohol on or about your person?
Why were you approached?
More info is needed. Talk to a lawyer.

I did not take a breathalyzer. I had no alcohol on my person. My friend made an illegal turn, is why I was approached.

David Scott Olshansky

David Scott Olshansky

What city did this occur in? Did you make any statements/ confession? Depending on the exact city ordinance, there are a lot of defenses to this charge. For example: They have to prove that you were drinking in that city, and even more that it was in Illinois, and also that it wasn't at your parent's house, under their supervision, or a religious purpose. If they didn't see you with alcohol, with no breathalyzer, or statements, then all they will have is an odor of alcohol, it will be hard for the city to prove. Talk to your parents, and get yourself a good lawyer.

Crystal Lake. The police officer said that he smelled it on my breath. I admitted to drinking a little because he said I would be in a lot less trouble than if I with held information from him.

Yes, this could affect your getting a license as a minor. Have your parents hire an atorney for you and see if the charge can be reduced.

yes. You should obtain the services a lawyer familiar with the GDL law. I assume you studied that in driver's ed. I gave a presentation about it to my son's class and they seemed familiar with it.

I agree with all of the other attorneys. You may wish to read this PDF which I report on my website www.ZippToCourt.com which explains the Illinois Graduated License Program. http://zipptocourt.com/uploads/IllinoisGraduatedParent-TeenDrivingGuide.pdf

Good luck

This answer is marginal legal advice and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Every client and case is unique. The best advice is to always consult with an attorney. Free legal resources at www.ZippToCourt.com