I got an underage but was never breathalyzed. can I get out of it, or plead to a lesser charge so I can keep my license?

Meadville, PA |

I got an underage at 12:30 p.m because I tried to take a cookie from Sheetz and got caught. I gave it back and was charged with theft but the officer said he could smell alcohol on me. I told him I was visiting my friend at Slippery Rock and that I was from Allegheny College and that I did not have a drink since 5 p.m. and the reason he could smell it was because there was some spilled on me because everyone was playing a game. He made me stand up and watch his finger as he went from side to side and I did not move my head or blink. I did not slur any words and that was not indicated on the citation. He said my eyes were blood shot but they always are and I could prove that if I went to court. He did not use a Breathalyzer on me and I had to walk home when he was done writing me up.

1. Stop writing incriminating information on line and retain a criminal defense attorney. You do have options and want to avoid a conviction. The attorney will be able to defend you. Good luck.

2. Underage drinking is not contingent on your blood alcohol content, so the failure of the police to administer a breathalyzer will not matter. However, there are other issues that you should discuss with an attorney that may assist you in fighting this charge. Many lawyers, including my firm, offer free consultations and I highly recommend that you contact someone. The following is a link to my website which discusses underage drinking charges in greater detail. There is also a link to an application for a PA "bread and butter license" that will allow you to drive to work and school in the event you receive a license suspension. http://www.fuchelandsinatra.com/Criminal-Defense/Underage-Drinking.shtml

3. I would follow the advice of both counsellors Keller and Sinatra

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

4. I agree with Mr. Keller. You want to stop posting facts about this online and talk with a local lawyer about it as soon as possible. This sounds like a case where, with the help of a lawyer, you can get a favorable result. They do not have to follow certain steps to obtain a conviction, they do have to prove you guilty, though.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

5. If you have not already done so, speak about this to an experienced criminal defense lawyer and do not discuss the details with anyone else. Good luck.

DUI topics