I got an antibiotic resistant infection in the ER because doctors didnt wash hands or use gloves. Is this a possible lawsuit?

Ive been battling a bone infection for almost 10 months now. It was finally eradicated and everything was healing well. One of the stitches at the surgical incision did not hold so I went to the ER because the wound opened down to the bone. Two doctors came in without washing their hands or without wearing gloves and touched the wound. I was on IV antibiotics at the time and about a two weeks later developed a very serious infection that was from a different bacteria than the original infection. It is resistant to antibiotics which means it came from the hospital. I am furious that my recovery was ruined because two doctors didn't do their jobs properly! What can I do!?!?

Souderton, PA -

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

You can certainly retain a local Souderton malpractice lawyer to order your medical records and investigate. I'm sorry, but the only malpractice my firm handles are birth injuries such as cerebral palsy, failure to diagnose cancer & wrong site surgery.

Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Tampa, FL

In fraction cases are very difficult but a bone infection may indicate that there was a delay in diagnosing and treating the infection. Contact a local lawyer for a review.

Harold Semanoff

Harold Semanoff

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Huntingdon Valley, PA

I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is inexcusable for the physicians not to have washed their hands prior to treating you and for failing to wear gloves. Having said that, it is possible that your infection was from another source. Infections are prevalent in hospitals and even under the best of circumstances, it is possible to develop an infection. It would appear to be very difficult to establish that you developed the infection due to circumstances that you described. If you have not already done so, you should file a complaint with the hospital and also consult with a local attorney specializing in medical malpractice cases.

Jonathan David Marx

Jonathan David Marx

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bala Cynwyd, PA

1st off I am sorry for your troubles, my suggestion is to speak to a medical malpractice attorney in your area to investigate, all records need to be obtained and examined which can be time consuming, best of luck in resolving this matter.

John F. Fox Jr.

John F. Fox Jr.

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Your assumption that the doctors caused the infection may be incorrect. Contact a local medical malpractice attorney for further review.