I got an an asylum interview date next week, is it OK to submit the story and other supporting evidences at the same day?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

I got an interview date next week. I haven't submitted the story and other supporting evidences yet, but they are ready with me. Is it okay if i submit those documents at the same day of interview? Help me please!

1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Normally, no you would file the I-589 packet with the affidavit and all evidence together. If however you are NOT represented then you may not have been able to submit the entire packet at time of filing. Strongly urge you to retain a good immigration attorney to represent you, If this is impossible for financial reasons, then bring your affidavit or declaration signed under penalty of perjury with you as well as ANY AND ALL supporting documents.

Be sure to bring three copies of everything, as keep an extra copy for yourself. Do not just bring one copy and expect USCIS to make any copies for you. Also be advised that the asylum case must be well supported and you may have people come as witnesses, if possible and appropriate, and also have an interpreter who is not a family member.

Strongly advise consult with an Avvo attorney who practices in this area or an excellent attorney in your area; Many do low cost or free consultations. Good luck

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

1

Answered . It depends on the local office requirements. Some offices will require a week in advance submission of most documents. Others will not mind if you bring them on the date of the interview. Yes others would post a requirement to submit documents in advance yes would take then on the interview date.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . It may be accepted. However, usually the Court would give a date by which all documents must be filed. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.