I got an an asylum interview date next week, is it OK to submit the story and other supporting evidences at the same day?

Fremont, CA |

I got an interview date next week. I haven't submitted the story and other supporting evidences yet, but they are ready with me. Is it okay if i submit those documents at the same day of interview? Help me please!

Normally, no you would file the I-589 packet with the affidavit and all evidence together. If however you are NOT represented then you may not have been able to submit the entire packet at time of filing. Strongly urge you to retain a good immigration attorney to represent you, If this is impossible for financial reasons, then bring your affidavit or declaration signed under penalty of perjury with you as well as ANY AND ALL supporting documents.

Be sure to bring three copies of everything, as keep an extra copy for yourself. Do not just bring one copy and expect USCIS to make any copies for you. Also be advised that the asylum case must be well supported and you may have people come as witnesses, if possible and appropriate, and also have an interpreter who is not a family member.

Strongly advise consult with an Avvo attorney who practices in this area or an excellent attorney in your area; Many do low cost or free consultations. Good luck

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

Thanks for your help. Can you explain more about the your answer "declaration signed under penalty of perjury with you as well as ANY AND ALL supporting documents".

It depends on the local office requirements. Some offices will require a week in advance submission of most documents. Others will not mind if you bring them on the date of the interview. Yes others would post a requirement to submit documents in advance yes would take then on the interview date.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Thank you, it was helpful. At the same time, do you happen to know the requirements for asylum office in San Francisco? Thanks.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Not if you do not have an attorney. Will not hurt to call them and ask to make sure your interview is not rescheduled because of this.

I did call them but they said i have to consult with my attorney and all. Their costumer support was not that helpful at all.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Did you consult with your attorney?

Due to financial reason, i did most of the researches myself without the help of the attorney.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You better start fixing your financial reasons as you will need an attorney and the sooner you hire one the better for you. For now, call the office again and tell them that you are self represented; you have attorney and no one to ask and that you are not asking them for a legal advice but a simple procedure in the office. Do I or do I not need to mail documents ahead of time?

It may be accepted. However, usually the Court would give a date by which all documents must be filed. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Recommended articles about Immigration