I got a warrant and got arrested for not completing my traffic school but i did,what should i do? i have a court hearing on 22nd

Asked over 1 year ago - San Mateo, CA

the warrant was for not completing a traffic school on 9/1/2012, but i did complete it on 8/4/2012. i havent called my traffic school because i know one of them messed it up. first they put my case under "2nd offender program" but its my 1st time. i remembered they said they fixed it and now i got arrested for this. i think that was the reason, what should i do? i need a lawyer and ill sue my traffic school too , i dont wanna tell them about it and fix it. i got arrested in front of my house for someone else's error.

my roommate called cops on my bf and i was the witness for their fight, no one got arrested but me, i think they searched everyone's record and found that i have a warrant, i did not know at all that i have that warrant because i really finished my traffic school, the cops were in the roommate's side, they couldve just given me a ticket but they arrested me.

1. Chris J Feasel

13

Answered . Not completing traffic school isn't an offence for which a warrant can issue. I suspect there's more to your story. Get an attorney to help figure it out.

2. Thomas Joseph Baker

13

Answered . Something is missing from your story. The police generally do not actively pursue warrants for failing to complete traffic school. 99% of the time, the person is dealing with the police for something else (pulled over for some reason and the police run a check). Furthermore, I haven't seen a case where someone is then arrested for not completing traffic school unless they are being particularly difficult with the police.
    If the story is as you say it, it would seem that merely showing the court proof of completion of the traffic school would correct your problem.
    As far as suing your traffic school, I would consult with a civil attorney in your area. It might be hard to prove that the school messed something up.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

11

Answered . I agree that not failinig to complete traffic school does not cause one to be arrested. Perhaps there may have been a failure to appear at court on an unrelated case?

4. Peter John Marek

11

Answered . Both Mr. Feasel and Mr. Mascagni are correct. It is odd that you were arrested for not completing driving school. The remedy is going to court and showing proof of completion. The traffic school may offer to refund your fees if indeed this was the reason you were picked up. I advise you to get counsel to review both matters on a free consultation basis.

5. Frank Mascagni III

11

Answered . You need to discuss this with a competent criminal defense attorney ASAP. I assume you have written proof that you complied with all the conditions of traffic school ( paid receipt and attendance forms and certificate of completion, etc.). Get a lawyer to review the case file records and traffic school records. I'd concern myself with defending the case rather than suing someone. Deal with the urgent issue first.