Skip to main content

I got a tv from rent a center 6 years ago and just got arrested 6 years later

Austin, TX |

Ok I rented a tv 6 years ago from rent a center I had to move back to my home town so my grandmother got rid of everything in my place she told me that rac came and picked up the tv. Now it's 6 years later and I come back to Texas and I get arrested on a 6 year old warrant for theft of service. Can they do this my gram said they piced the tv up I don't have it I have no criminal back ground can this be dismissed? And off my record?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You should get a lawyer and fight the case before you should worry about getting if off your record.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. Sounds from your comments to another answer that you already have a lawyer assisting you.

    In the great majority of cases, the lawyer handling the defense in a criminal case is in the best position to advise the defendant on how to proceed.

    You might want to discuss with your lawyer whether your "right to a speedy trial" was violated by the delay in arresting you. Other issues might also be involved. But, really, you need to speak with your criminal defense lawyer about this.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

  3. Contact a local attorney. If this is your first offense, you may be able to get it dismissed.

    This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him/her familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics