Skip to main content

I got a ticket Sunday going 98 in a 70 on 264 in NC.

Greenville, NC |

I got a ticket Sunday going 98 in a 70 on 264 in NC. I only had my license for about 4-5 months I'm 22 now. I would like to now can I get the speed reduced any? In my case am I allowed to do traffic school and or community service at all for this not to affect my insurance? If so am i allowed to do those things before I speak before a judge?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You are going to need a defense attorney to represent you. 28 mph over the limit is no simple matter as you have left the realm of minor traffic infractions. Pursuant to Sec. 20-141(j)(1) you are charged with a Class 2 misdemeanor. Depending on your criminal record, a Class 2 misdemeanor can mean anything from community service to six months in jail. Further, under this charge you are not eligible for a Prayer for Judgment Continued. You likely will need to attend traffic school or perform community service or both. In any event, I strongly encourage you to hire a good criminal defense attorney to assist you. Good luck to you.

    <a href="">Fred Amos</a> provides legal representation in Wake County, North Carolina. Any answer provided through this discussion board is a general response to the question and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to this question does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always seek the advice of a lawyer directly to address your specific circumstances. Free consultation and flexible payment plans for <a href="">DWI's</a>. Call 919-803-7208.

  2. That's VERY fast, you should avail yourself of counsel before going to court, this is probably serious with such a new driver as yourself.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  3. I often recommend community service and risk reduction/driver's education courses for my younger clients charged with speeding violations such as this one. Consult local counsel who is aware of the local court procedures and suggest your ability to do any of the things mentioned. Best of luck to you!

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics