Skip to main content

I got a ticket in New york city for Unlicensed operator.

New York, NY |

I hold valid Indian license and new york state leaner permit. The incident happened on 6/16. The officer told me that he had not given any points. The summons says I have to appear in court to plead guilty and mail the form to not plead guilty. I had thought I could drive with this combination. I even took couple of my friends to driving test and I presented my 2 licenses when they asked for it and they were ok with that. So I do not understand what has gone wrong. So I would like to know what should I do? Because I stay in upper state and court is in new york city.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You should not plead guilty while you have the permit. The combo is not sufficient to allow you to drive. It is a no point ticket but it would look bad when you apply for an actual license.
    Good Luck!

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  2. We handle cases in NY City. Everything goes to trial in NYC, and if you have a learner's permit most moving violations cause a suspension under the vehicle and traffic law. You need to find an attorney like our office that handles NYC traffic ticket trials ASAP - we will go to court for you and utilize e-mail to communicate so you never have to come to our office or court. Please be advised that my response is not a solicitation, as there are many law firms that practice NYC traffic ticket defense so you can call anyone you'd like.

    Michael J. Palumbo
    1-877-99-NO-TIX (1-877-996-6849)

  3. If you cannot appear you will need an attorney to appear on your behalf.

    All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website