I got a ticket for wearing earphones while I was driving in Northern California. I forgot to go to Court, now I got a 800

San Jose, CA |

I got a ticket for wearing earphones while I was driving in Northern California. I forgot to go to Court, now I got a 800 dollar collection bill, IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO REDUCE THE PENALTY AMOUNT ???
Thank You

I missed trial date and never went to court at all

1. I cannot tell if you ever went to arraignment and missed trial date- or never went to court at all. You can get an attorney and get the hold lifted- assuming there is one and reset case. That would run into some expense as well.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

2. Yes. You can file an appeal with the appellate division of the superior court and if granted, perhaps pay nothing. You must have some legal grounds, naturally, for the appeal and I do not know the full facts of the case.

You can also file a motion for reconsideration if less than ten days have passed since the judgment was entered.

You can also file a petition coram nobis or a motion nun pro tunc (to turn back time). In each case, you must state valid factual and legal grounds for the court to grant such a motion or petition.

If any of these motions are informally debated by the DA or judge, you can offer to withdraw the motion or appeal if the fee for the ticket is reduced or the charge is amended to allege something with a lower fine. Withdrawing the collection action would have to follow.

It is a ton of work and involves a lot of time. You may find your time and the attorney fees are not really worth it (and the attorney's efforts may not succeed). Paying the $800 in hindsight may seem much easier.

Traffic tickets topics