I got a ticket for speeding 83 in a 45 zone and it is marked as an infraction with court appearance. What will happen?

Davie, FL |

first offense.

1. If the police officer doesn't show up the ticket will be dismissed. If the officer does show up you will be given an opportunity to plead guilty or no contest and accept your penalty, which could include points on your license, a fine, driving classes, and possibly a license suspension or you can plead not guilty and have a hearing where the officer will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were speeding. If the officer is able to prove that you were speeding, the same types of penalties can be imposed. It is unlikely that your license will be suspended if this is your first speeding ticket, however, it may be in your best interest to hire an attorney to represent you.

2. This is a mandatory court violation, but you may hire a traffic attorney and have the attorney appear on your behalf. The Judge may impose a penalty up to $500 (plus court costs), assess four points on your driving record, and require school (up to 12 hour in person). There are additional sanctions that could be imposed but are not likely. You should contact a traffic attorney in your area for a free consultation.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at www.drivenlegal.com.

Traffic tickets topics