I got a ticket for not having a driving licesnce about 3 years ago would that affect me int the deferred action

Asked about 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

i had the choice of going to court or pay ticket so i paid it

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you paid it, then you pled guilty.

    Driving w/o a license is serious in the federal sentencing scheme for enhancements and so its probably significant absent specific guidelines (which may be formulated later) indicating otherwise.

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more
  2. Sanjay Augustine Paul

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Based on the guidelines that have been released thus far, it does not appear that you will be barred from deferred action because "driving without a license" is not on the list of "significant misdemeanors." To get more clarification, we will have to wait for the guidelines to be released on August 1, 2012. In the meantime, you should gather all paperwork regarding your incident from the courthouse, get an FBI report on yourself as well as a state rap sheet so you know what information the government has about you - then speak with a lawyer.

    I would also recommend reading the attached brochure on bars to deferred action.

    Please like my firm Facebook page to get periodical updates and breaking news on the deferred action process.

    Best of luck,

    Sanjay Paul, Esq.

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,733 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,733 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering