Skip to main content


Stone Mountain, GA |

This happened in dekalb co (Lithonia) as I was driving home at 2am. There were hardly any cars on the road and it was a 3 way stop. I was very tired, but do clearly remember slowing down before I even got to the intersection and letting my foot off the accelerator so by the time reached the intersection, I had rolled to a stop. I looked both ways, then accelerated to make a left turn. Seconds after a cop pulled me over. (not even sure which direction he came from because I didnt notice him prior to my turn). I am wondering if he's basing me not stopping because he didnt see my brake lights come on brightly and only saw them come on when I applied them to slow the car down before I rolled to a stop (but mot at the actual intersection) Is this something I could fight ,or even have a chance?

Attorney Answers 3


You may have a legitimate argument. However, it sounds like the facts are too close to call re: whether you are likely to win. Depending on the cost of the fine, it may be easier to just pay the ticket and move on.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Unfortunately, it is the word of the officer against your word, and a judge is most likely going to believe the officer. Your best bet is to ask the prosecutor to reduce your charge to a non-reporting violation so the charge will not go on your driving history and cause your insurance premiums to increase.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Get an attorney and see if you can get ticket reduced.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics