I GOT A TICKET FOR FAILURE TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP AT A STOP SIGN

Asked about 1 year ago - Stone Mountain, GA

This happened in dekalb co (Lithonia) as I was driving home at 2am. There were hardly any cars on the road and it was a 3 way stop. I was very tired, but do clearly remember slowing down before I even got to the intersection and letting my foot off the accelerator so by the time reached the intersection, I had rolled to a stop. I looked both ways, then accelerated to make a left turn. Seconds after a cop pulled me over. (not even sure which direction he came from because I didnt notice him prior to my turn). I am wondering if he's basing me not stopping because he didnt see my brake lights come on brightly and only saw them come on when I applied them to slow the car down before I rolled to a stop (but mot at the actual intersection) Is this something I could fight ,or even have a chance?

1. Daniel Ellis Rice

1

Answered . You may have a legitimate argument. However, it sounds like the facts are too close to call re: whether you are likely to win. Depending on the cost of the fine, it may be easier to just pay the ticket and move on.

2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately, it is the word of the officer against your word, and a judge is most likely going to believe the officer. Your best bet is to ask the prosecutor to reduce your charge to a non-reporting violation so the charge will not go on your driving history and cause your insurance premiums to increase.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

Answered . Get an attorney and see if you can get ticket reduced.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777