I got a ticket for doing 89 on a 65 zone on the I87 in ulster county, what's my best and worst outcome if I fight the ticket?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I had a radar detector that went off waaaay too late b ut the cop did say that I slowed down quickly. He wrote that he observed me speeding and then got me on a lazer. All of my details were entered correctly. Also, I'm a canadian with an ontario driver's license and ontario plates (I know that points do transfer between NY and ontario)

1. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

9

Answered . The worst case scenario is six points on your license. It will result in a fine and a $300 Driver Assessment Fee. The best case scenario is a reduction to a non-point bearing offense. Realistically, generally, an attorney lije myself can reduce it to a non-speed violation.

2. Matthew Jay Weiss

8

Answered . Because a NY conviction will transfer onto your Ontario license as demerit points, I recommend that you plead not guilty. If you do, you or your NY traffic lawyer most likely can negotiate this 6-point ticket (4 Ontario demerit points) down to a less serious saving you points as well as the $300 Driver Assessment Fee (and possibly avoid your auto insurance rates going up). When hiring a traffic lawyer make sure that he or she is familiar with the Ontario demerit system as it is very possible for you to end up with 0 demerit points.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

8

Answered . Worst is you are found guilty, get 6 points and the fine and surcharge of approximately $300 and the NYS Driver Responsibility Fee of $300. Best--you beat by using an attorney!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Benjamin J Lieberman

7

Answered . Worst case scenario is that you're convicted of this offense and you get points on your license, a heavy fine as well as a drivers assessment fee. Best case scenario is that you and/or your lawyer can negotiate this down to a less serious offense (maybe even a non moving violation).

5. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

5

Answered . If you retain an office like mine you will not have to come back to the United States to fight the ticket we deal with you through e-mail and phone and go to court for you, plus we give a money back guarantee. We'll knock the points down for you or you get your money back you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.