I got a ticket for disorderly conduct, what will happen if I plead not guilty

Asked over 5 years ago - Goleta, CA

I got a Disorderly Conduct ticket in Goleta, Ca. In the college town of Isla Vista. I dont remember much but after I was released from the drunk tank I went to the address that was on my ticket. The residents told me that I passed out on the lawn but they said they didnt mind me sleeping there. They said the isla vista foot patrol found me sleeping, must have smelled alcohol and took me away. Yes I am under 21, but I turn 21 before my court date. (does that help my case?). Do i have a good chance of fighting this and getting it dropped??? Thank you very much for your help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Edward Williamson

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Sometimes counties will have a form of diversion - basically having you do a class or AA in exchange for it then being dropped. I'd so, don't plead guilty, at least ask for public defender if you don't want it on your record as a conviction-the PD can present options to you and the court.

    Good luck.

    Matthew Williamson

  2. Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I assume when you refer to "disorderly conduct" you mean a violation of Penal Code sec. 647(f), a misdemeanor.

    You will go to court and the court may or may not have a complaint on file for you. If not, understand that the prosecutor has one year from the date of the offense to file an accusatory pleading (a "complaint") against you.
    Once a complaint has been filed, and you are in court, you will be arraigned, i.e. advised of the charge(s) against you and asked whether you can afford an attorney or whether you want the court to appoint one for you. If you have an attorney, at some point you will enter a plea. If you plead not guilty, the court will set a jury trial date for you within 45 calendar days of the date of the arraignment.

    As Mr. Williamson says, you might be able to negotiate this for a "diversion" type program in which you participate in some classes and/or perform community service, or whatever the court directs, and in return after a certain amount of time you can return to court and the case will be dismissed.

    If instead you plead guilty without a diversion program or take it to trial and are found guilty, you can receive a maximum penalty of up to $1,000 and/or 6 months county jail.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,583 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,583 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering