I got a ticket for an accident that wasn't my fault?

Memphis, TN |

I got rear ended, hit another car that hit another car that hit another car. I got a ticket for "failure to maintain safe lookout" Why did I get a ticket? And should I plead not guilty? The car in front of me slammed on their brakes, I did too, and got hit.

1. Retain a lawyer to represent you. He/she will likely tell you to plead "not guilty". Also, notify your insurance company of the wreck. Seek appropriate medical treatment if you've been injured. Good luck.

2. Generally, any time you hit another car from behind, the responding officer is going to believe that you failed to maintain a safe distance. Their reason is that just because you get hit, that does not mean you can be right behind another car. In cases like this, circumstances matter. If you don't think you were at fault, contest the ticket. Being the middle car is a mixed situation - some good, some bad. If you do not contest the ticket, you will be deemed to have agreed with it, and it will be on your record.

3. You need to get a copy of the police report and contact your insurance adjuster to discuss this.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www.KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight the ticket.

5. Retain a traffic ticket attorney.

6. Based on the facts as you've stated them, you should contest this ticket. Assuming that the officer who issued the ticket didn't see the accident, then it is likely that the ticket would be dismissed in this multiple car accident.

7. I agree with the prior attorneys. You should definitely contest this ticket in traffic court. Otherwise, it becomes a part of your driving record and can be used to increase your insurance rates. It also counts as points against you with the DMV. Furthermore, if you were injured in the accident, paying the ticket could be used against you if you file a claim against the driver who rear ended you.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.