I got a summons in the mail, and i have to go to court. will i be arrested when i show up?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

i got a paraphernalia and under 1 ounce of marijuana charge , and i just got a summons in the mail . will i have to do jail time starting at my court date ?

1. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

2

Answered . A summons was issued in lieu of an arrest warrant to place you on notice that criminal charges were filed and the date of the arraigment. You hire a lawyer you will not have to appear and more likely will get the case resolved shortly thereafter without any exposure to jail.

2. Ryan Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . No. That will be for your arraignment. You will probably enter a plea of not guilty for the time being, get discovery materials from the prosecution and perhaps an offer to resolve the case.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.
  3. Maysoun Akram Fletcher

1

Answered . No you absolutely will not be arrested at your first hearing. Your initial hearing is intended to provide you notice of what the state or city is charging you with. You will be asked to enter your plea to the charges. You should give serious consideration to retaining an experienced criminal defense attorney who can then appear on your behalf and work out a good resolution to your case and potentially get the charges dismissed.