I GOT A SUMMONS FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR FOR A CREDIT CARD FOR 1.523.79 THAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN OFF.I AM 79YRS OLD AN MY ONLY INCOME

Oklahoma City, OK |

IS SOCIAL SECURITY CAN THEY TAKE MY SS JIM POELING

Jim, the other attorneys are probably right. If your only income is your SS disability, that check is exempt from garnishment from your bank account. However, if you own any real estate (other than the house that you live in), that property may not be exempt. Be advised that if you do not answer the Petition by filing an Answer with the Court, a judgment will be entered against you, regardless if it is "collectable" by the Plaintiff.

If you, or anyone else you know is getting called or letters from debt collectors, please feel free to contact our firm. We are located in Tulsa, and practice Consumer Protection law statewide. If an abusive debt collector is calling you, you may be entitled to statutory damages of up to $1,000.00. Our website is linked below.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

No.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.

No. you are probably judgement proof.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

No, they can not take your social security.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.