I got a subpoena in the mail to be a witness. Can they lock me up for my warrents?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have traffic violations!

1. If you received a subpoena in the mail, you were not properly served and do not have to appear at court. A subpoena has to be hand-delivered to you directly. If the State is trying to get you to court, they are not going to arrest you for ticket warrants. If the defense issued the subpoena, the State may take you in on the warrants but it is unlikely.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. Yes, you can be arrested if they look up your criminal history and find you have traffic warrants.

If you received the subpoena by certified mail, you have been properly subpoenaed and you must appear or be subject to being picked up. (If you just received it by regular mail and do not appear, the party who issued it will most likely have you personally served next time....)

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. It is very unlikely you will be arrested for traffic warrants upon appearing in Court but it couldn't hurt to get an attorney on board and get the warrants resolved ASAP.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737