I got a speeding ticket unlawful use of license and driving with suspended license (no police report no case?)

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, GA

i got pulled over the cop told me i was going 58 in a 45 i said i know i was going at the most 48 he said well i clocked you about 1000 foot back i asked him if he thought it was accurate he said yes and then proceeded to ask him to see his reading and he said i wasn't entitled to see it he said it was the radar built into his car but i was perpendicular to his car and was going the speed limit well before i seen him he asked me why i still had my license i said for job purposes and to buy cigarettes yet he still wrote me a ticket for having it when i did not know i had to turn it in nor did they tell me that when the suspended them when i get to arraignment there is no police report i plead not guilty and bound over to superior did i do the right thing and do i need and attorney

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jack Ira Klein


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I would have kept the case in the Municipal or Probate court, you are possibly facing jail time, large fines and further license suspension on the Suspended license charge. Retain counsel that practices traffic law
    to handle your case.

    You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to... more
  2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, you need an attorney. If you are convicted of the suspended license charge you are facing at least 2 days in jail, a minimum $500 fine, and an additional 6 months of license suspension. This 6 month suspension is a hard suspension meaning there is no limited permit for work. You may have certain defenses to the suspended license charge depending on why your license was suspended, and if the state is required to give you notice based on the type of suspension. 58 in a 45 doesn't even go on your driving history, but if he got you with a laser gun he is not required to show you the speed or to do a calibration check. If he got you with radar he is required to do both upon request.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are very wise. You do need an attorney

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,241 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,241 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering