I got a speeding ticket today for driving 77mph on 55mph , what do I do? How many points and what is the charge for speeding?

Asked about 4 years ago - New Hyde Park, NY

Speeding on Northern State Parkway Nassau county

1. Jeffrey Michael Donato

Answered . If you plead guilty to speeding 22mph over the speed limit you may be assessed 6 points on your license as well as the fine. Additionally, if you have more than 11 points on your license in an 18 month period it will be suspended. There may also be additional "fees" associated. You can check with the local Traffic Violations Bureau. For more info go to http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/traffic-tickets.php

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPLY OR CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS IMPLIED OR CREATED BY RESPONDING OR FAILING TO RESPOND TO THIS RESPONSE. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.

2. Matthew Jay Weiss

Answered . This is a 6-point ticket and carries roughly a $200 fine. It also carries a $300 driver assessment fee. We can very likely save you the $300 as well as 3 to 4 points. You will not have to go to court.

We appear regularly at this court located at 16 Cooper St in Hempstead. In fact, I was there yesterday.

Feel free to call us free a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss, Esq.
    212-683-7373

3. George Peter Conway

Answered . Hello:

You have been charge with Speed over 55 in violation of VTL 1180-B which for a first offense is punishable by a fine of between $90 and $300, up to 15 days in jail, 6 points and a mandatory surcharge of $85.00. If convicted and this is your first offense within the last 18 months, you will also be required pay a driver responsibility assessment of $100 per year for the next three years for having accumulated 6 or more points on your driving record with an 18 month period. You also maybe surcharged by your car insurance carrier. If you are convicted of three speeding violations in an 18 month period the NYS DMV will revoke your license for at least six months. If you accumulate 11 or more points in 18 month period, the NYS DMV will suspend your license. If you would like to read more about the possible consequence of a speeding ticket, I suggest you visit my website at www.albanycriminaldefenselawyer.com . I further suggest that you speak with a traffic ticket attorney in Nassau County about possibly negotiating a plea reduction on your behalf to attempt tp reduce or eliminate some of the consequences.

Best regards,

George P. Conway
    www.albanycriminaldefenselawyer.com