I got a speeding ticket in NY state. I was going 15 MPH over the limit. What would be the penalty if I plead guilty?

Buffalo, NY |

The speeding ticket says that I was going 70 MPH in 55 MPH but at the bottom of the ticket the cop that stopped me wrote an explanation and stated that I was going 74MPH in 55 MPH??
What speed will the court take in consideration : 70MPH or 74 MPH?
Thanks. Daryl

The only speed that matters is the speed in zone charged. 15mph over the limit is 4 points on your license. Most courts now have a special prosecutor who you may negotiate with when you go to court to get the charge reduced.

Plead not guilty, send in the ticket to the court and wait for the court to give you a court date. If the officer did not provide a supporting deposition and you question his observations, check the box to request a supporting deposition. The officer then has 30 days to get that to you. When you go to court, negotiate with the SP or the officer and try and get a no point offense like 1201a (parking) and pay a fine.

What you can negotiate will primarily depend on your current driving record which you may order online:

Speeding tickets are more than just a nuisance they can cause a major insurance increase and potentially license suspensions. Our office goes to court for our clients so you don't lose time from work, represent persons charged anywhere in NY State, and give a money back guarantee in most cases. So what do you have to lose? 1-877-99-NO-TIX

There is no difference between 10 and 20 miles over the limit so 15 or 19 means nothing in particular.
The fines range generally from $100-$200 + surcharges

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Terri Beth Kalker

Terri Beth Kalker

It would also mean 4 points on the license regardless if you were 11 - 20 miles over the limit. 10 over would be 3 points.

The difference in the speed is inconsequential in your situation, however, the difference between the speed as indicated on the ticket itself and the supporting deposition may be able to be used to your advantage. Especially if you were ticketed in one of the "major cities" in New York state where plea bargaining on traffic tickets is not available. These include Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, and New York City. If you were ticketed in any of these locations your only option maybe a trial or a plea to the charge. In a trial situation the difference in the speed may be used to your advantage. Feel Free to contact my office to discuss all of your legal options 716-439-4700