I got a speeding ticket for 6 points going 25 over. What are the possibilities that the points will be dropped?

Asked 10 months ago - Aurora, CO

I already have 4 points on my record, and I do not want my license to be taken away. I just turned 18, and I got the first ticket when I was 16. However, the court for the first ticket was moved 2 times upon my lawyer's request, so they got put on my record in the beginning of this year. My job requires me to drive all over the state and I will be attending the University of Denver and need my license to get to school.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

5

Answered . There is a good likelihood of them dropping it to a 4-point speeding with a driver's safety course and UPS (community service) hours.

2. Rhidian David Watson Orr

4

1

Answered . Points for offenses are based on the date of offense. So when you were convicted is irrelevant so the fact that your attorney pushed the case out is not detrimental to you. Your age on the date of offense is also what is important. If you were 18 when you picked up this new 6 pt speeding ticket then as long as you do not accumulate 9 pts or more within any 12 month consecutive period, 12 pts or more within any 24 month consecutive period or 14 pts or more over the lifetime of your license then you do not face a point suspension.

However, you still want to do everything you can to minimize the points and collateral consequences of this offense. If you want better than a 2pt reduction, you need to consider hiring a traffic attorney to assist you.