I got a speeding ticket for 6 points going 25 over. What are the possibilities that the points will be dropped?

Aurora, CO |

I already have 4 points on my record, and I do not want my license to be taken away. I just turned 18, and I got the first ticket when I was 16. However, the court for the first ticket was moved 2 times upon my lawyer's request, so they got put on my record in the beginning of this year. My job requires me to drive all over the state and I will be attending the University of Denver and need my license to get to school.

There is a good likelihood of them dropping it to a 4-point speeding with a driver's safety course and UPS (community service) hours.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Points for offenses are based on the date of offense. So when you were convicted is irrelevant so the fact that your attorney pushed the case out is not detrimental to you. Your age on the date of offense is also what is important. If you were 18 when you picked up this new 6 pt speeding ticket then as long as you do not accumulate 9 pts or more within any 12 month consecutive period, 12 pts or more within any 24 month consecutive period or 14 pts or more over the lifetime of your license then you do not face a point suspension.

However, you still want to do everything you can to minimize the points and collateral consequences of this offense. If you want better than a 2pt reduction, you need to consider hiring a traffic attorney to assist you.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Traffic tickets topics