I got a speeding ticket and a parking violation ticket ( they towed my car I got it back) from Canada

Asked about 3 years ago - Bellmore, NY

What happens if I don"t pay?... Also do I get points on my license?

1. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . I assume there may be repercussions if you tried to drive in or go back to Canada. I havent heard of any situations where there was reciprocal reporting between Canada and NY. You can check with DMV after a couple of months and get an abstract of your driving record, to see if it appears. I doubt it will. I think abstracts can be ordered online now too.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . New York has reciprocity with a few other states but I have never heard of reciprocity with a foreign country. That said, its never a good idea to ignore a ticket. I suggest you use the internet and find a traffic court attorney in the part of Canada where this took place. While I have no knoweldege of Canadian law, it is possible that your failing to respond to the ticket could result in either a warrant for your arrest and/or a civil judgment against you, which could be picked up by a credit reporting agency. You don't want any problems or nasty surprises if you try to cross into Canada in the future.

3. Theodore W. Robinson

Answered . Again, I agree with the first answer offered. However, I have been having clients who called me about not being able to renew their licenses within the states in another state. While it took a long time for the states to coordinate between themselves, there is no way of telling how long it will take for the US and Canada to do the same. I suggest you take care of them.