I got a reckless driving ticket, what should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Manville, NJ

Its my first time getting a ticket ever, should I get a lawyer or something I was speeding. I'm really scared because on some sites it says I could go to jail. Help me please I'm really scared and I can't do probation or jail. Help!

1. James Alexander Abate

Pro

4

Answered . People often confuse reckless (5 points) with careless driving (2 points). If you have been charged with Reckless Driving, then you need a lawyer. If you have been charged with careless driving then the need for counsel depends on a full examination of your driving record. Call my office if you would like to discuss your matter. Jail for a speeding offense is an extreem punishment and reserved for extreme situations. Most likely you are not looking at jail, but a suspension is possible depending on the facts.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  2. Michael Joseph Cuellar

3

Answered . Contact an attorney to discuss your options.
    There are a lot of factors to discuss.

Law Offices of Michael J. Cuellar, LLC
    (973) 795-1253
    Available 24/7 for current and future clients.

3. Scott C. Buerkle

Pro

3

Answered . Reckless is a five point ticket. A conviction can mean serious long term consequences. You should not have to worry about jail time, but without details it's impossible to tell. You should at least talk to a lawyer with details to get a free analysis. Good luck

4. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

2

Answered . Speak to a lawyer for sure. You have been issued a 5 point ticket. How this case gets resolved depends on several factors. Among them include your driving history, the circumstances surrounding the stop and a careful review of the police report. You're facing a possible suspension of your driving privileges and adverse consequences on your driving insurance. Speak to a lawyer in person for further information and to discuss further your options and do so before you are scheduled to appear in Municipal Court.

5. Mark M Cheser

1

Answered . Jail is extremely rare unless there was an accident and someone got hurt or you were speeding like at Daytona. Anything over 90 mph figure a license suspension and jail is a real possibility but still rare. The 5 points are brutal and if you were speeding you likely got another 5 pointer for 39:4-98, speeding. An attorney can likely limit those points and lessen the penalty better than you can on your own. Anything 4 or more can cause insurance premiums to rise. Retain an experienced criminal defense attorney.

6. Christopher D. Ferrara

Pro

1

Answered . You definitely need a lawyer for this that is familiar with Manville Court. Being less than one (1) mile from the Manville Municipal Court, I am there routinely.