Skip to main content

I got a noise violation and have to appear in court, do I need an attorney?

Baltimore, MD |

I have no record, just a student that had a party.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Not likely, but you might at least consult with an attorney in your area. Many attorneys offer free consultations and ethical ones will tell you whether you really need an attorney or not.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. Consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

  3. You should contact an attorney to determine your options. Some counties have diversion programs where you can do community service and then the charged will not be prosecuted. If the charge is nolle prossed (not prosecuted), then you are eligible for immediate expungement. If you are a college student and the party was at a dorm, the college may be contacted by the police and could take disciplinary action against you.

    If you contact me, I would be happy to discuss this in more detail.

  4. If you are scheduled at the District Court for North Avenue, courtroom 7, then that is Early Disposition Court. While you probably don't need a lawyer, if you can't agree to a deal there (typically some form of community service or the state will just drop it) then they will reschedule the case for trial. Then you probably need a lawyer.

  5. There can be serious consequences of a finding against you. Consider whether you know the law, procedure, rules of evidence, prosecutor, and the judge well enough to risk having a record that might cause employers, landlords, and lenders to not want to do business with you in the future. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

    Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics