Skip to main content

I got a new passport with " name split" from the indian embassy washington. how to change it on I 94?

Louisville, KY |
Filed under: US visas

my old passport has- first name: X Y and last name: FNU (family name unknown)
so in my visa it is- last name: X Y and first name: FNU (US Govt. needs a last name)
and I 94- first name: X Y and last name: FNU

to end this confusion and prevent other documents like dl ssn ead from getting messed up I "split my name" a provision by indian embassy for people with FNU problem. it doesnt require a court order.

new passport reads- first name: X and last name: Y
I will not be going to india for a year. so previous visa will be in use.

I want to change my I 94 now according to new passport. so I can get dl/ssn/ead according to name in new passport - first name: X and last name: Y

i wish to know how i should proceed step wise.

Thanking you in advance,

Attorney Answers 3


Simple procedure is to accept name on I-94 and make the correction when you obrain a new I-94. Other option is to apply for a replacement I-94 and submit evidnece of the name change.

Mark as helpful

1 comment



the reason I went for the "name split" is every document has been getting a different format beyond recognition e.g.: i got my learners permit as - first name: XY FNU and last name : XY FNU that is 48 characters long and wont fit on the DL and is unreadable. there has been high incidence of rejection of ead/ssn when the FNU problem is involved.


File I 539

Reza Athari
Attorney at Law
Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
Las Vegas, NV 89120
Telephone: (702) 727-7777
Fax: (702) 458-8508
Toll free: (800) 565-2030

Barstow, California
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc
Telephone: (760) 957-7220
Fax: (760) 957-7396

St. George, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc
Telephone: (435) 656-1136
Fax: (435) 656-1145

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc
Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
Fax: (801) 281-9603

Mark as helpful


I agree with Attorney Mulder

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics