I got a field release for drug paraphernalia today what do i need to do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Austin, TX

a sheriff gave me the citation i am guilty i am NOT denying that i just want to know how to take care of this? do i have to go to court? is there anyway to just pay it off? if i HAVE to go to court do i need a attorney or can i just go by myself? i have a bunch of questions as obviously ive never been in trouble before?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

4

Answered . Don't just pay it off. That means taking a permanent conviction. At least go to court and request a deferred disposition to keep your record clean. I would hire a ticket attorney if at all possible. Their fees are typically offset by the money they save you in fines, plus this guarantees the best possible result.

2. Joseph Francis Vinas

2

Answered . The best plan would be to go to court with an attorney. If you don't have a criminal record, you want to do everything possible to keep it that way. If you "just pay it off," you'll have a conviction. Contact an attorney.

3. David Christopher Hardaway

2

Answered . I agree with Ms. Jaggers. But I wouldn't advise paying any more than about $150 for an attorney on that type of case. More than that and you are highly unlikely to receive any sort of return on your investment, especially if all you're looking for is a deferred disposition.