I got a field release for drug paraphernalia today what do i need to do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

a sheriff gave me the citation i am guilty i am NOT denying that i just want to know how to take care of this? do i have to go to court? is there anyway to just pay it off? if i HAVE to go to court do i need a attorney or can i just go by myself? i have a bunch of questions as obviously ive never been in trouble before?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't just pay it off. That means taking a permanent conviction. At least go to court and request a deferred disposition to keep your record clean. I would hire a ticket attorney if at all possible. Their fees are typically offset by the money they save you in fines, plus this guarantees the best possible result.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  2. Joseph Francis Vinas

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The best plan would be to go to court with an attorney. If you don't have a criminal record, you want to do everything possible to keep it that way. If you "just pay it off," you'll have a conviction. Contact an attorney.

    Joseph Vinas answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not... more
  3. David Christopher Hardaway

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Jaggers. But I wouldn't advise paying any more than about $150 for an attorney on that type of case. More than that and you are highly unlikely to receive any sort of return on your investment, especially if all you're looking for is a deferred disposition.

Related Topics

Possession of a controlled substance

Possession of a controlled substance is a drug related crime. You can be charged for having drugs on your person or in your home, vehicle, or other property.

Marijuana laws and criminal charges

Marijuana laws are federal, state, and local laws regulating the growth, distribution and possession of marijuana for both medical and recreational purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,615 answers this week

2,348 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,615 answers this week

2,348 attorneys answering