I got a Dui Last Night, I refused the tests They wanted me to do, I was not Drunk But They say I smelled of alcohol

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

They gave me a ticket that Says Dui, They also said My licence would be suspended for 1-3 years Just for refusing the test. I was not acting a fool while being spoken to by the officers involved or anything like that,now My arraignment is on tuesday,and my ticket says Court date is on 8-6-13 . I guess I am worried that they will auctomatically convict me since I did not do their Test. Yet The Officer In IRC told the group that had taken the test and Given Blood that They were Screwed. Would love to know further, Thanks Guys!

1. Michael Jon Fremont

Pro

20

Answered . The refusal can get you a one year license suspension however we need more
    information to give you advice why did the officer stop you also you're not
    necessarily screwed there are defense is the DUI's even with the refusal
    get a qualified DUI attorney find out

2. Neil James Fraser

19

1

Answered . I'm afraid you made a bad decision. The law states you are presumed to be DUI if you refuse to take a chemical test and the police had probable cause to stop you and conduct a DUI investigation.

It gets worse - there is a one year license suspension that accompanies a DUI conviction with a refusal, plus you may then be required to install an ignition device to get your license back. This is in addition to the first-time DUI fine (increased by the refusal to over $2,000.00 with penalty assessments), probation, a DUI class of at least 90 days and any other conditions the court may deem appropriate.

Then the DMV take their own action. If the cops took your license and gave you a pink temporary license, that means you MUST request a DMV hearing within ten days of this stop or your license will be gone for a year without you having a right to contest it. So call the DMV and request a hearing this week WITHOUT FAIL. There are no appeal rights if you blow the 10-day period.

So, as you can see, you've heaped a whole load of trouble upon yourself as a result of your refusal. It's difficult to argue you were not DUI since there are no test results and the refusal presumes you to be DUI. However there still may be defenses available to you and I urge you to call me or any other DUI attorney here on Avvo for a consultation. I offer it free of charge.

Your Tuesday arraignment is off since your were released. The correct date will be the August date for court proceedings. But, remember, the DMV is an entirely separate proceeding and you must set up that hearing asap.

3. Michael Korry Bialys

19

Answered . at this point you really need to contact an attorney in fact if you refuse to get a valid chemical test either blood or breath you can lose your license for a year in addition the penalties associated with a refusal in court or higher there's a lot of details that need to be reviewed with an attorney take advantage of a free consultation in your situation it is very important

4. Matthew Murillo

Pro

19

Answered . What do you mean your arraignment is on Tuesday but your court hearing isn't until August? An arraignment is a court hearing. If this was a misdemeanor, your arraignment wouldn't be so immediate if you are out of custody.

A refusal of a Chemcial test could result in a license suspension by DMV of a minimum of 1 yr, depending on whether you have any priors. However, you can request a hearing to contest that. If you win, no APS suspension for the refusal alone. You have 10 days from the date of arrest to request the hearing with DMV.

In court, in order to be found guilty of refusing, you first need to be found guilty of a DUI. And that guilt will not be depedndant on your performance on FSTs, although, they will be a factor. If you want to give yourself the best shot at beating the charge, hire a DUI attorney.

You can look here on Avvo or on the CA DUI Lawyers Association website to find a qualified DUI attorney.

5. Dan Eugene Chambers

18

1

Answered . You need to hire counsel. As my colleagues have pointed out, you have a lot of issues to deal with and soon.

www.chamberslawfirmca.com
    www.chamberslawfirmoc.com
    www.clfca.com

6. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

15

1

Answered . Unfortunately it is going to take more facts than given to provide a meaningful answer, so I suggest contacting several attorneys in the morning. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. Find a few and talk to them.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    (800) 409-7010

7. Jonathan Scott Franklin

6

1

Answered . Refusal cases have pros and cons. You have to deal with a potential one year driver's license suspension if the DMV APS hearing is lost, and potential jail if the refusual is not stricken in your criminal case and you are convicted. Also, the prosecutor can comment that you "would rather have an automatic 1 year driver's license suspension then submit to a chemical test so that jurors could see your blood alcohol level....that's how intoxicated he was!" This can be fairly damaging in a jury trial unless your attorney can properly diffuse it.
    You are not obligated to submit to field sobriety tests in California, and your failure to do them (along with no chemical test reading) gives the prosection less evidence of impairment.
    These refusal cases can go either way. Contact a competent attorney and discuss all of your options.

8. Anthony David Scott

6

Answered . Refusing to take a test is often worse than taking a test with a high blood alcohol. By refusing you are facing a 1 year suspension of your driver's license (if you have no prior convictions). There is also mandatory jail if you plead guilty and admit you refused to take a chemical test. I suggest that you contact one of the lawyers that has initially answered your question and make an appointment to meet with him/her. You MUST request a DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest or you will not even be entitled to a hearing regarding your CDL. Meet with someone ASAP.

Contributions to AVVO.com do not establish an attorney-client relationship.
One or more answers have been taken down.