Skip to main content

I got a DUI in CO ; was not offered a chemical test = automatic suspension of license through DIV for one year . Can I move ?

Albany, NY |

I was issued a DUI in CO . but I'm originally from NY . I have been working in CO for 4 months . I want to move back to NY to be by my family , so that I can get help with transportation to and from work . I know no one in CO except my co - workers , so the penalties imposed on me in CO will be difficult to maneuver while still trying to work and go to school at night . I am not eligible for a restricted license . How do I go about moving back to NY . I am not trying to shirk my responsibilities , I just want to go back and be with my family where I will have support to help me get through this difficult time in my life . I am a professional , and I have had no prior offenses .

Attorney Answers 3


You should re-post in CO but if there is no probation and no other sentence conditions keeping you there, you should be able to move here!

Good Luck

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You can move anywhere you want unless there is some sort of probation you are on. However, they can transfer your probation to another state. Here's a tidbit - NY DWI probation is brutal, but Connecticut has "outsourced" it's probation to civilian contractors who, rumor has it, couldn't care less about their contractual obligations to keep tabs on people who are on probation. Numerous persons who have been or are going to be convicted of a probational crime in NY move to CT. So if when you say come back to NY that are would be close to the CT boarder, think about it!

Mark as helpful


As long as there is no mandate to stay in Colorado you should be able to come back to New York. You should speak to an attorney in Colorado to discuss the matter. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics