I got a DUI in 2008 and was tried in absentia.

Asked over 1 year ago - Rockford, IL

I bailed out and never returned for any court dates and apparently was found guilty. I received another DUI in 2009 for which they used the previous conviction to give me my 5th DUI. Im currently out on parole. I pointed out to my PD @ that time I was never sentenced on the 4th one. He said just never go back to that County. Do I have anything to worry about 4 years later?

1. Salim John Sheikh

4

2

Answered . You probably have a warrant.

2. Brian E. Small

4

1

Answered . It is possible that there is a warrant. IT could have a county radius or a statewide pick up radius. Depending on your age the rest of your life could be a long time to think about this case in the back of your mind. There are some possible legal arguments regarding further punishment both for and against. You should consult with an attorney familiar with that jurisdiction.

Additionally currently people with this many DUI convictions face a lifetime revocation. If the law ever changes and becomes more lenient an open case could hold you back from getting a license.

3. Ted Harvatin

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes may be a warrant.

4. Scott Andrew Wineberg

1

Answered . If you are on parole you must have just gotten out of IDOC. They typically check an inmate for any detainers (warrants/holds). You may have none, but a simple call to the Sheriff's office in the county where #4 occurred will give you the answer for sure. You can also go to the Clerk of the Circuit Court to review the court file and find out what happened in your absence. You may not only have been tried and convicted in absentia but also sentenced in absentia.

5. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, you need to worry.