I got a DUI in 2005 and it was reduced to reckless driving......deferred, then dismissed all together. I since got a DUI in

Asked over 1 year ago - Kent, WA

2011. Can the courts use my dismissed case against me? They are trying to sentence me based on "2nd offense in 7 years". Is this legal? Are there any cases to support my case?

Washington State

1. Jonathan Dichter

Pro

6

Answered . Sadly, even if dismissed - under Washington State Law - any prior DUI that was amended to a Reckless Driving like yours - counts as a prior DUI if you get another one in seven years. You'll want to consult with a DUI attorney immediately.

2. James J White

Pro

5

Answered . I have successfully argued that the prior does not count. The deferred statute parallels the vacate statute which releases you from all "penalties and liabilities" from the conviction.
    At your service,

3. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

5

Answered . Violation date to violation date. If the first case is within 7 years of the new one and it was a DUI reduced/amended to anything and even a deferred prosecution that was dismissed, it counts. Get an Attorney.