I got a dui from nj state police and a handful of tickets for a minor accident that occurred on a very windy rainy day

i made it clear i was on methadone as prescribed and they took me to station handed me many tickets and a dui. this has ruined my life and i would like to sue for wrongful arrest. i blew0.00

Mount Laurel, NJ -

Attorney Answers (5)

Benjamin G Kelsen

Benjamin G Kelsen

DUI / DWI Attorney - Teaneck, NJ

One can be found guilty of DWI for being under the influence of drugs, even prescription ones. Being involved in an accident gives the police probable cause to investigate if there was a dwi. However, you may have viable defenses. Merely taking or testing positive for drugs does not mean you were impaired. You need to hire an attorney immediately to deal with the DWI before you can consider anything else.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

DUI / DWI Attorney - Union, NJ

More information is needed. Unfortunately State v. Tamburro is right on point indicating you can be charged and convicted for methadone "intoxication'. the standard is exactly the same, whether your ability to drive was impaired by a substance you ingested. If there was a DRE and they took urine or blood the case can be strong for the State. I suggest you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. There may be defenses but it may not be a wrongful arrest.

Eric M. Mark

Eric M. Mark

DUI / DWI Attorney - Newark, NJ

You must first be found not guilty of the DWI and other tickets or you will not successfully sue for wrongful arrest. Even if you are acquitted, your lawsuit may not be successful. However, you probably have some good arguments to defend against the DWI. It depends on the facts as recorded by the police, your version and the medical history. You should retain a DWI defense lawyer ASAP.

Jason T Komninos

Jason T Komninos

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hackensack, NJ

The Alco-Test is only for alcohol, it does not test for drugs. Someone can still be guilty with a 0.00 if the police can prove that the defendant was under the influence of drugs. The police can prove influence of drugs by doing a DRE or blood test. You need an attorney who will review all of the discovery and possibly find holes in the police's case.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

DUI / DWI Attorney - Madison, WI

I don't see this as a wrongful arrest if there was probable cause. An accident certainly gives the police a reason to investigate.

DUI is a generic term that includes being unable to drive safely when taking prescription medication. On the other hand, they have to prove that you were impaired, not just that you had taken a medication. You need a DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving attorney there in New Jersey. If this is a first offense and no one was injured it is not a criminal charge.

This has not "ruined your life." It is a bump in the road. It sounds like you've had more than one of those. Work your way through it with the help of a lawyer.

You need to get that attorney now. Don't wait for court.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.
See “more” link below for more important information.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Featured Legal Guides

Personal injury accidents

The most common personal injury accidents are the result of traffic accidents. These include accidents involving cars, motorcycles, bikes, and more.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.