I got a DUI and driving on a suspended license , they lawyer cut a deal (i don't think this is a good deal) 33 days in LA county

my lawyer told me they would just book and release you because they over crowded . my question is mi not a citizen but i have my green card and everything been living here about 15 years now . my question is would they take me to immigration center because i am not a citizen ? my lawyer told me " NO they would not take you in because it is not a felony . " i don't really believe anything this lawyer says .

If you're sentence is 33 days, then the max you could do is 17 days. It is true that LA is known to release people early but that does not guarantee you will. As for immigration, if you have a green card, then you will generally not get picked up by INS, but they are known to make mistakes as well, so again there's no guarantee of that as well. I also agree with the other lawyers in that if you didn't think it was a good deal and did not trust your lawyer you should have sought a second opinion before accepting the deal.

If you don't believe the lawyer, than why did you hire them?

Telling you what exactly will happen is impossible, we don't know what the details of your case are and why your license was suspended to begin with.

The custody time could be a good deal, we just don't know. No one can promise you that you will do less then the 33 days, but LA county is know for quick turn arounds. However, the 33 days could be book/release, it could mean you do 10 days, it could mean you do all 33.

If you don't trust this lawyer, don't accept the plea and hire someone else.

Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

first DUI my DUI was for unsafe start. my license was suspend for FTP (seat belt ticket.) the lawyer did 4 of my other tickets and he dismissed 3 of them. thats the only reason i hired him

Matthew Murillo

Matthew Murillo

Unsafe start? Dix you actually move the car? What violation (code section) did they claim to justify contacting you?

Is this your first DUI? Was there an accident involved or was it simply a traffic stop? What was your BAC reading?

First DUI , unsafe start, my licenses was suspend for FTA (seat belt ticket) reading was 0.10 No accidents involved

Neil James Fraser

Neil James Fraser

Based upon those additional facts, I can't imagine why you should have to do jail time at all. Is the case still pending? If so, I suggest you fire your current lawyer and hire myself or another attorney with whom you feel comfortable. I can tell you none of my clients have ever served jail time for such charges. It makes no sense, unless you wished to do jail time in lieu of paying a fine.

Why hire an attorney to have no faith in and do not trust. No one that did not handle the case can tell you if the deal is any good. As long as you are in the USA legally you should be fine.

Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

Traffic tickets topics