I got a DUI 2 years ago in NC. I am supposed to have the new breathalyzer box when it's reinstated. How will this process work?

Asked over 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

I have more than fulfilled the one year suspension period, and I took the requisite alcohol/drug class prior to my court date. What are the appropriate steps for going to the dmv to get my license back? I don't have a car yet, and I'm not sure how that will affect the process with the addition of this box device. I know that I'll also need to provide proof of insurance

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Damon John Chetson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You'll contact Monitech - www.monitechnc.com - or Smart Start, which as far as I know are currently the only two companies licensed by the DMV to install these devices in your car. You'll need to get a verification form from the installer, which will be used to get your privilege to drive.

    Raleigh criminal lawyer Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary,... more
  2. William M. Willis IV

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . I recommend speaking with the DMV in advance of the date that you qualify to have your license reinstated. The DMV should be able to tell you what fees you will owe and what steps you need to take. You want to make sure that you know all of the details before you spend the money to have the ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle. There are now two companies authorized to install the device n North Carolina - Monitech and Smart Start.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Breathalyzer test for DUI

A breathalyzer is a type of DUI test that involves blowing into a device to test your blood alcohol content.

Jason Kristian Scott Porter

Refusing a Breathalyzer Test

Breathalyzers capture a persons breath, measure the breath alcohol content and convert to BAC. According to recent news reports, Four out of 10 drivers stopped for DUI in Florida refuse... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,934 answers this week

3,426 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,934 answers this week

3,426 attorneys answering