I got a DUI 2 years ago in NC. I am supposed to have the new breathalyzer box when it's reinstated. How will this process work?

Asked over 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

I have more than fulfilled the one year suspension period, and I took the requisite alcohol/drug class prior to my court date. What are the appropriate steps for going to the dmv to get my license back? I don't have a car yet, and I'm not sure how that will affect the process with the addition of this box device. I know that I'll also need to provide proof of insurance

1. Damon John Chetson

Answered . You'll contact Monitech - www.monitechnc.com - or Smart Start, which as far as I know are currently the only two companies licensed by the DMV to install these devices in your car. You'll need to get a verification form from the installer, which will be used to get your privilege to drive.

2. William M. Willis IV

Answered . I recommend speaking with the DMV in advance of the date that you qualify to have your license reinstated. The DMV should be able to tell you what fees you will owe and what steps you need to take. You want to make sure that you know all of the details before you spend the money to have the ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle. There are now two companies authorized to install the device n North Carolina - Monitech and Smart Start.