Skip to main content

I got a DUI 2 years ago in Millen,GA, I went to court a got public defender and have not heard anything yet. What can I do

Augusta, GA |

I never went to court to enter a plea. I need my drivers license

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In order to get your driver's license back you are going to have to take care of the DUI. If you haven't been to any hearings it is possible there is a warrant out for your arrest. I would hire a criminal defense attorney or call the public defender's office to see if they will represent you. They will be able to advise you what your best course of action is based on the current status of your case.


First, call the public defender's office and see if they actually represent you. They should also be able to tell you if you have missed any court dates. Given that two years have expired, it sounds like you may have missed a date, and a bench warrant might have been issued for your arrest. The public defenders office might be able to help you get that lifted. If they do not represent you, you should look into hiring a DUI lawyer immediately. Get this behind you. If there is a warrant for your arrest, they will eventually come and pick you up. It's not a pleasant experience when this happens. They police hardly ever come to arrest you at convenient time. Work out the bench warrant on your terms. A lawyer can usually help you accomplish that. Good luck! For more information regarding DUI related issues please feel free to check out my website. As for lawyer referrals, I would suggest Mary Stanley in Macon or Pete Young in Augusta. Good luck!



I cannot completely agree with the first answer in that you license may not be suspended at all, he suspension may only be an administrative suspension. You may contact DDS to actually determine if a suspension exists and what you must do for re-instatement. If the criminal case is still pending, you should contact the PD.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer