Skip to main content

I got a DUI 2 years ago. I need to get my CDL License back as soon as possible. What do I need to do to get them back?

Prescott, AR |

I got my DUI in a road block driving a car. I paid my fine off but companies won't deal with me due to the fact that it is on my record that is not 5 years old because their insurance companies won't deal with it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


To get your CDL back, you have to get your regular passenger car DL reinstated first, which it sounds like you have. Then, under federal law, there is a 1 year Revocation of your CDL, from the time of the incident, for a First offense. It is a lifetime Revo. for a 2nd offense, but you can apply for reinstatement after 10 yrs. It sounds like your issue is NOT that your CDL is not valid, but then companies won't insure you bec. it would cost them too much--or their Insurance Carrier would drop them altogether. That is not a legal problem. That is just the way Ins. Co's do business bec. you are too much of a risk in their Eyes, even if you get your CDL Reinstated....Best bet, wait 5 yrs., then apply for a trucking job, and keep your record clean between now and then...

Nothing herein shall constitute legal advice, nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.


You need to call DF&A, driver control division, and tell them what you are trying to accomplish. Getting the cdl back is not impossible, but working for someone else may be difficult. You will need to be insurable. Arkansas law has changed and it is now possible to get your record sealed after five years.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer