I got a Disorderly Conduct Ticket in Hudson County NJ and need to know how to go about dealing with it

Asked 11 months ago - Secaucus, NJ

I got a Ticket from a NJ transit officer on a train in Secaucus for trying to pee out of the train in between cars, what I thought was going to be a public urination ticket turned out to be a disorderly conduct ticket which I have never heard of before and would like to know how to go about dealing with it. Should I just pay it, am I able to represent myself in such matters, would it even be worth fighting, and what are some possible repercussions of just paying such a ticket.

1. David Justin Sideman

3

Answered . You can't pay a disorderly conduct summons - it is a petty disorderly persons offense ( misdemeanor). You face 30 days jail? $500 fine, or both. A conviction will result in a criminal record. I wouldn't fight this alone. Things can be done about in in Secaucus but you need a lawyer.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

2

Answered . disorderly conduct is a criminal charge that would be on your record for at least five years until you can expunge it. Legally, it is arguable if your actions constitute disorderly conduct, so it is worth hiring a lawyer to fight the charge and/or work to get a downgrade to a municipal ordinance or administrative violation that is not a criminal offense.

3. Jason T Komninos

2

Answered . You are entitled to represent yourself, but with this type of charge is it best to be represented by an attorney.

4. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . It would be worth your while to hire a lawyer to defend you for this. There are lesser changes to which you can plead and which would mitigate the damage to you record. Schedule a consultation with a lawyer.

------------------------------
    The Murray Law Firm
    50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
    Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
    T: (201)875-2600
    W: http://www.MurrayLawNJ.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MurrayLawNJ (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MurrayLawNJ

5. Mark M Cheser

Pro

2

Answered . I would try, yourself or with an attorney to downgrade the charge.