I got a disorderly conduct charge last night for being too drunk in public etc., if i dont have lawyer, whats worst can happen?

Asked about 4 years ago - New York, NY

I got it a shoving match with another guy and the cop was going to let us both go, but I walked away from him in a drunken stupor so he gave me a disorderly conduct charge. Will this result in a fine and if so how much?

1. 1

Answered . Disorderly conduct is a violation punishable by up to 15 days in jail, though that's pretty rare. A lawyer might argue for an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, or a conditional discharge, or some such. An experienced lawyer is probably going to know the right words to say, and the right arguments to make, to get the best resolution.

This is not legal advice, and neither creates nor implies an attorney-client relationship.

2. 1

Answered . The outcome will depend on what court you are going to - 100 Centre, 346 Broadway or Midtown Community (W. 54th Street). Your biggest issue is to avoid doing lots of community service and having to watch a quality of life video. I have had good results either preventing any of these or minimizing them. In addition, if you have a lawyer, your case gets called first - otherwise you could wait hours to see the judge. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense so feel free to check out my web site and contact me.

3. 1

Answered . The judge will probably not allow you to go unrepresented. However, if you do not have an attorney then you would have to represent yourself or the judge may assign a lawyer to represent you. While the worst that will happen is not the most likely thing to happen. If you were to plead guilty or are found guilty after trial the worst that will happen is 15 days jail. The most likely thing to happen is a conditional discharge, fine, community service and a surcharge to be paid to the court.
    You may consider consulting with and hiring an attorney to try to get the case dismissed or an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. To limit your exposure to all these possibilities.

Carl Spector

4. 1

Answered . If your scheduled to appear at 3t46 Broadway, chances are you'll be looking at a fine in the ballpark of $100. Hiring a lawyer will allow you to avoid spending your entire day in a relatively austere environment as private attorneys get their clients cases called almost immediately. I've found that the court will often waive a client's appearance entirely, and let the attorney appear for the client.

My office is across the street from 346 Broadway. I offer reduced fees for appearances there. I'd be happy to offer you a free consult.

Happy Holidays, Tom Kenniff